I’ve always been fascinated by movies. I was actually headed toward a career in the movie industry – I studied communication and cinema in college and university (long before I went into nutrition) and had the privilege to learn about the wonderful art of filmmaking. I love being moved by extraordinary stories. I love how films transport us into different times, countries, even galaxies. Movies have always had a special place in my heart and I’m always super pumped when the Oscars are around the corner!
So of course, this simple weekend post had to be Oscar-related. We’re obviously not talking about a fancy Oscar dinner here. But if you’re planning on watching tonight’s ceremony in a non-glamourous way (meaning, in your PJ’s, comfortably seated on the couch), then this cheesy nacho-inspired popcorn is your go-to snack.
There’s a really yummy oregano-infused oil involved (it sounds fancy, but it actually takes 5 minutes to make, I promise). Then a blend of Mexican spices for some colour, flavour and a little heat. And of course the magical vegan “cheesy” ingredient: nutritional yeast. Super simple, but full of flavours. This elevated popcorn will make your traditional butter + salt popcorn look quite sad.
Here’s to never eating boring popcorn again (and hopefully to Leo finally bringing home the golden statuette!!).
- ½ cup organic, non-GMO popcorn kernels (about 8 cups popped)
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- In a small saucepan, combine the olive oil and dried oregano. Cook over low heat for about 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let stand while you are making the popcorn.
- Pop the popcorn kernels in an air popper and set aside. (If you don't have an air popper, you can do it on the stovetop. Melt one tablespoon of coconut oil in a large pot on medium-high heat. Then add 2-3 popcorn kernels and cover with a lid. When the kernels start to pop, add the remaining popcorn kernels and cover. Gently shake the pot back and forth over the heat source to prevent the kernels from burning. Continue shaking until most kernels have popped. Remove from the heat.) Transfer popcorn to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the paprika, turmeric, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and sea salt.
- Pour the infused oil onto the popcorn and stir to coat evenly.
- Add the spice blend and mix well with your hands to coat evenly. Then add the nutritional yeast and mix well again. Serve immediately.
“Your life is your story. Write well. Edit often.”