Mornings can be hectic and chaotic, and many of us struggle with taking the time to eat a healthy breakfast. In between preparing lunches and dropping the kids at school, it’s easy to end up grabbing a not-so-healthy option while rushing out the door, or even skipping breakfast alltogether.
We’ve all heard that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. I’d say that they ALL are, but it’s true, breakfast is essential. Eating breakfast increases your metabolic rate, regulates blood sugar, fuels your mind and body for the day ahead and promotes productivity. Skipping breakfast will likely encourage you to eat more later in the day and will promote mid-morning hunger.
If you haven’t heard of overnight oats before, let me gladly introduce you to your new favorite life-saver breakfast!
It’s quick, delicious and healthy. It’s all your breakfast dreams coming true!
Like the name implies, overnight oats are prepared the night before, which is perfect for your busy mornings. Since it’s made in a jar, you can grab it in the morning and bring it to work if you need to (awesome right?).
Overnight oats is incredibly simple: it’s basically raw rolled oats soaked overnight and topped with any of your favorite fruits and toppings. Because the oats are soaked for many hours (usually in milk), they soften and there’s no need to cook them.
I especially like eating overnight oats during these hot summer days because they’re serve cold.
They are filled with vitamins, minerals and fibre. The wonderful chia seeds are packed with protein to keep you full and satisfied until lunch and they provide a wonderful source of the essential Omega-3 fatty acids.
The base of overnight oats is usually composed of the following ingredients:
- rolled oats
- almond milk (or any other plant-based milk) – you could also use fresh juice
- chia seeds (optional, but awesome to boost the nutrient profile)
- yogurt (optional, but nice if you’re looking for a creamier texture)
And then you can pick your favorite add-ons (this is where the fun begins!):
- fresh fruits (it also works well with frozen fruits when not in season)
- nut or seed butter
- sweetener (honey, maple syrup, dates, stevia)
- nuts & seeds (almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pumpkin seeds, hemp seeds, etc.)
- protein powder (I personally like this one)
- granola, coconut flakes, cacao nibs, bee pollen, goji berries
- vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, or any spice you’d like
The list could go on forever! It’s seriously one of the most versatile breakfasts, and you can basically use any of your favourite fruits and topping to make it your own.
I’ve made numerous versions of this breakfast before, but since figs are everywhere these days, I wanted to create a new one in which they would be the superstar! Figs have a unique texture and taste and truly elevate this everyday breakfast.
The tahini adds a wonderful, creamy texture while the pecans give it a nice crunch. And of course there’s a little touch of honey for good measure.
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tsp unpasteurized honey
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¾ cup almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
- 1-2 small fresh figs, sliced
- 1 tbsp pecans, chopped
- Place oats, chia seeds, cardamom, tahini and honey in a small jar. Add almond milk. Stir well to combine.
- Close the lid and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Top with fresh figs and chopped pecans and serve.
Overnight oats can be kept in the fridge for 2-3 days.
I am in charge of how I feel and today I choose happiness.